Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATTENTION!!!! Please bear with us while we make some updates to the Forum and Website, Thanks.......

5 posters

Project Supra Z

Kurai
    Kurai

Project Supra Z - Page 2 Empty Re: Project Supra Z

Post  Kurai Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:43 am

I already have the R154 sitting in the garage, and the parts are all the upgrades for it that i prob dont need but might as well while its sitting out already.

You got a alt?
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:06 am

I build alternators for a living at Lair's Auto Electric
    912-352-1801. I can build most anything you want.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:57 am

OK sweet excellent Very Happy thats one thing down now if i can find someone to make a wiring harness ill be really good lol Shocked
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:55 pm

I might be able to help you there also. I told y'all I'm an auto electric tech. I made the harness to put the JDM Starlet engine in my Tercel. Everything you have is marketed for north america right? By that I mean the car was sold here and your engine/ecu came from a car sold here also. Factory or aftermarket ecu doesn't matter as long as connectors are available for the aftermarket unit.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Oh yeah that would be awesome, well from what i have found the engine is from a Supra but the 1JZ was only released here in the states in i wanna say the Lexus SC300 or a variant, but i think most of the connectors can be found online via Driftmotion.com I just dont know exactly what all ill need, but if you can take care of that stuff that would be a big help and id gladly compensate you for the parts and time no problem there, I just will definately need one lol
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:41 pm

I'll see what I can find. The 1jz-gte was available in 90-92 Supra and I'm getting this from wikipedia so it's most likely NADM info. If I remember correctly you're going to run a stand alone ecu, not factory. If so you'll need to know what all it connects to. I'm doing this with the 3s so I need very little that the factory harness came with, but all I need is on it. Do you know which gen 1jz you have? Also was it a factory turbo. Knowing if it has egr would be a major hint as to where it's from if you don't know.
    Supra forums would be a good place to pick up a factory harness to use for injectors, sensors and all that stuff. Where is the engine currently?
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:20 am

Im not sure what gen it is as the heat sump cover and cam covers were all not with it, it is originally a twin turbo though, and the only hint i have to its gen is that it did come with the TRC stamp on the intake manifold which i have seen on the VVTi 1jz and noted either missing or gone from some other models in pics online. But the stock manifold wasnt there either so no idea on the EGT.
    Its currently hanging out in my garage along with the R154 the Z and a 7M...
    What all would u need off the stock harness? I'll start looking around and seeing if i can locate some stuff.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:53 pm

throttle position sensor for whatever throttlebody you'll use.
    at least 1 water temp sensor for ecu
    knock sensor
    oil pressure
    the VVT+i section
    whatever fuel injectors you'll use
    distributor and/or crank&cam sensors
    O2 sensors, at least 1 wideband
    map sensor, whatever type you choose
    coil pack plugs if equipped
    maybe an idle air control
    air intake temperature
    alternator and starter plugs would be nice
    back up light switch

All the plugs mentioned above should be on a factory harness other than those mentioned where you may use something else.
    What fusebox are you using?

According to wikipedia the VVT-i used a single turbo.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_JZ_engine#1JZ-GTE
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 am

Its gotta be a 1st or 2nd gen then there was a twin turbo stamp on it sure about that much. Though really twin or single either or works for me.

As far as the fuze box i have found one guy that bought one that had everything you need but still waiting on him to PM me back on Hybrid Z about what/where...here is a link....post #6

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/61936-my-1jz-260z/

Also there are some ppl hinting at a couple places that may have a diagram as well here........

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/67957-2jz-and-1jz-wiring-into-datsun-z/

Oh and far as the culprit pretty sure the one in this first picture is the same as the engine i have minus alot of covers lol but it def has that twin turbo stamp and also the TRC Throttle body.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/documents/1JZ-GTEarticle1.pdf
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:57 pm

That last link was informative yet funny. The pictures are great information as well as the trc throttle body. If you want to use that it'll require an ecu with provisions for such but it shouldn't be difficult. You will however need an electronic speed sensor that may be in the transmission already and maybe abs rings/sensors on the front hubs.
    The funny part was about the JDM ecu with a speed limiter of 180kph and not being able to be rechipped. The funny part of that is some of the guys from the Tercel board have already rechipped the 4efte ecu to redline at over 8000rpm instead of 7300 and set fuel maps to 15psi instead of the factory 9psi. No piggybacks or anything.
    The speed limiter at 180kph (113mph) in a Supra is just plain sad. Thank God all it takes is disconnecting the yellow wire going to the speedometer to by-pass that! Sure you get a check engine light but at least you know why and you don't plant your teeth into the steering wheel at the top of third gear. The light resets itself everytime the ignition is disturbed so a switch will keep the light off until you need to break the posted legal limit.

This is do-able. Find out if that TB mounts on the surge tank intake you showed me. A large single TB is easier but I understand wanting the creature comforts if they're available. The hardest part I feel will be the abs rings/sensors on front. You may have to update the hubs with some 300Z parts to make that happen.

The reason I say front is that's going to be how the ecu determines the car is spinning. The power wheels turning faster than the others. Sensors on rear wheels would do same as transmission, only tell you clutch isn't slipping.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:04 am

Well i dont need all that jazz it can go lol, i just was identifying it to figure out what gen 1j i have, Ima try and get that intake manifold that was in my list.

and will be running a full standalone so not gonna worry too much about finding a factory ecu at all just needs to do its basic engine turning thing lol
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 am

So after adding up alot of stuff what do you guys think......1JZ or 2JZ....for the price of restoring the 1JZ I can completely just buy a 2JZ.....still plan to use the R154 since its pretty strong but what do you guys think of that plan of action and anyone know a reputable place to buy a 2JZ?
    reborn
    reborn

Post  reborn Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:19 pm

well i would say the 2jz if it going to be the same price. now the only question is... the 2jz will be stock and if u do the 1jz it will be all upgraded right. but the 2jz can handle or power in the ong run.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Hey the 2j can max around 20% higher then the 1j....so 1000hp, but im not looking to run anything close to that number.
    If I can get one for 3k or less then ill probably no def. save money. and hell i can run the numbers i want on damn near a stock engine with some fuel upgrades. Not to mention the cash ill get back when/if I sell the 1jz and the 7M.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:29 am

Engine
    Toyota Supra JDM LOW MILES
    $2000 Dependable Imports USA-GA(Conley) Request_Quote 404-361-0787 http://www.dependableimportsga.com/

Engine
    Toyota Supra INS. QUALITY 32K MILES 6 MOS WARR. NEW ARRIVAL-32K 32,000 A NSU951127
    $2900 Shakti Auto Parts USA-GA(Atlanta) Request_Quote 404-635-0333 / 866-635-0333
    http://www.sautopart.com/

I got these from http://car-part.com both 2jz-gte.
    Ain't it funny they're both 95 and both in Atlanta area AND the lowest priced pair on that site? I'm betting the engine is at Dependable but Shakti is sub-selling it.
    reborn
    reborn

Post  reborn Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 pm

IF IT IS GOING TO BE A TRACK CAR GO BIG OR GO HOME
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 pm

lol those are some good prices excellent....ill have to swoop one up when we get back....hmmm now onto selling the others lol....gotta keep my eye out for a 6spd tranny too a strong one.

and yeah ill keep it moderate but i dont want a long long lag in the spool since it will see the circuit more then the drag strip...last thing i need is full boost kicking in halfway thru a long sweeper lol.
    Also got my eye on doing this mod to use a Subaru Forester rack and pin instead of the Datsun's. It is said to give alot more steering response and can be had for not too much money and almost perfectly mounts up to the stock sub-frame piece.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:43 am

Kurai wrote:last thing i need is full boost kicking in halfway thru a long sweeper lol.
    Also got my eye on doing this mod to use a Subaru Forester rack and pin instead of the Datsun's. It is said to give alot more steering response and can be had for not too much money and almost perfectly mounts up to the stock sub-frame piece.

That was the problem I had once the Tercel went turbo.
    As for the r&p isn't the forseter power and the Datsun manual? If yes that would explain the difference.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:15 pm

Hmmm not to sure of the exact diff. but know that the Subi rack only costs about 150.00 or so, and also know that if your Tercel is somewhat interchangeable with the older Celicas that you may be able to do this upgrade as well....check it out here at this nice DIY

http://www.vikingds.com/zcarguy/Power%20Steering%20install.pdf
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Maybe you should drop a 2jz in this instead....

http://savannah.craigslist.org/cto/1670090029.html
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:56 am

lol awesome lol i could through the stock 260Z engine and tranny in it that is in the Z now lol. Very Happy

Also selling the 1JZ to BSMk from over at TMT (tunemytoyota.com) for 300.00 and there is a guy here looking for a 7M-GTE to build so ima sell him that one for 100.00
    Gonna keep and build up the R154 and mate it to the 2JZ and looking at thrying to use a R230 diff out of a 300ZX TT to spin it all but not sure what else ima need for that setup far as shafts and def gonna have to get a custom axle made.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:01 am

Wow, independant would be nice but a Ford axle for an old Bronco should fit about right and cost far less to set up a 4 link. that's my plan for a rear to deal with 700horses. I've seen Z rears in old hot rods btw. You might find out what it can take.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:52 pm

It may hold...but from what im hearing the 240 and 260 were not that strong...but the 280 was good (had more spines then previous models in the driveshaft)

Also looking at running a Megasquirt module for the EMS but dont know alot about it just keeps getting recommended
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Fri May 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Picking up a couple more goodies for the Z here in a few days.... Cool Think Ima grab a OEM style CF Hood, vented inspection panels gotta send my OEM ones in, and a Urethane front Air Dam....not sure what else but with the CF flares I already have wont need too much more to complete the exterior. Other then maybe the CF front and rear bumpers, and the taillight CF panel piece.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Tue May 11, 2010 7:03 pm

Urethane front air dam enroute....also picked up some goodies for the Rollie got the Custom shift boot (Blk Carbon fiber fabric w/creme leather stripes and red thread stitch and 2" shorter to make a perfect fit for the short shifter) and also the 6 spd engraved shift knob in a Gun Metal Blue. Cool

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:54 pm