Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATTENTION!!!! Please bear with us while we make some updates to the Forum and Website, Thanks.......

+2
reborn
Deuces Wild
6 posters

Upgrades, and problems

Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Upgrades, and problems - Page 2 Empty Re: Upgrades, and problems

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Exactly what are you wanting to do?
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:31 pm

We were talking about getting a bolt on turbo kit or putting one together if we can get ahold of a manifold maybe slight fuel upgrades she is looking for around 250whp.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Gotcha. Do y'all use the 'bolt on kits' to make it easy or play it safe? I ask this as I'm apparently from a different breed and believe in making things work and work HARD.
    For example a couple of people on my Tercel forum are ready to throw in on an 800fwhp Tercel 2.0 stroker A block 20 valve head with VVT+l on 24psi with a six speed trd geared and locked C60 trans. None of this was designed to be assembled together. Parts are coming from at least 5 donor cars.
    We were talking about tech things like rod angle and piston speed. They're looking to run 3x nominal piston speed at 9800rpm due to stroke. It should be a freaking monster if it will hook.
    Almost every part of that build will be used parts. The people doing it are known to reuse original rings even. Straight up they may have $2000 in the finished car.
    That's why it blows me away when y'all spend mega money on kits.
    I don't mean that to sound as offensive as it may. I'd just like to see you save your money for your future and still have the same fun with your car.

Last edited by Starlet 3SGTE on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : needed it)
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Thats some crazzzzyyyyy building lol, dont know if that C60 will hold tho im already concerned if mine will hold up to the 400hp.

She is just looking for 250whp in a reliable package (which is kinda hard to do on the 4B12 since it hasnt gotten alot of support yet, esp mated with a CVT transmission)
    If you got a cheaper plan that would still be reliable Im sure she'd like to hear it Cool

I personally just dont have the know how to completely fab together a kit...just a lack of knowledge on my part but im always up for learning Cool
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:49 pm

Hit up car specific forums and for lower level powerups the guys will have a basic formula already established. Get a spare manifold from a scrapyard cut it off and have a friend that can weld put a flange on it. Bolt a turbo on, preferably something in the range the ppl on that forum suggest. As the engine is a 2.4 I'd suggest a T3 or similar sized turbo. You'll need to know what injectors came in the engine and what will fit. This is a great thing the forum will provide. Also is this a map sensor or mass air flow setup? Do you have a functional hood scoop? If yes a top mount cooler can be used to lower the volume of the charge side.

On a seperate note, is this a fwd or awd? Does it spin badly off the line? Is it auto trans? What is the redline or shiftpoint?

Picking up used parts from a factory turbo car that's being upgraded is a sure way to get balanced parts that will last.

ps kurai, the C60 should be fine for a few years but the c160 would detonate. I have no sweat at all on my w58 holding up to near 900crankshaft horses from the 3sgte. You'll be moving more weight with a 6 cylinder and a beefier transmission but on less horses. Also mine will be seeing a lot of launches at the strip vs yours on the streets.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:58 pm

Ill answer what I can but not sure of all the specifics oan here car. The 4B12 is a 2.4 and pretty new (developed after the EVO X which is a 4B11) so there isnt much support for it so far i think it is used in the newer Ralliart Lancers though. IUt is FWD and hers has the CVT (semi-automatic) transmission with the paddle shifters (and once again not many ppl have messed with those really yet). I was telling her it would be easier to part the kit together and cheaper...finding that friend that welds would be the hardest part tho.
    Sure she will chime in here with alot of questions of her own but it would be a cheaper route to go and net the same results in the end Cool

But to the kit question thats why alot of ppl get kits is to just avoid all the trouble involved in building one, pre-fabbed parts and piping, less down time, and easy to compare with someone who has the same kit etc etc if trouble arises.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:32 pm

I'd just think one of y'all would have a friend in the garage on base that could do it possibly free. If not ask bccoupe on SSR if he'll do it and pricing. He does some of the prettiest welding I've seen local. I had him do some aluminum welding for me and you can't beat the quality. Check out his build thread on the ChevyII he's resto-modding now. Also check out his Mustang build thread. It'll make you respect a domestic again.

Since this engine is in same family find out if manifolds swap. Easy way to check is look at gasket kit for each and see if tubes/bolt holes line up and same shape. Wiki says her exhaust mani is stainless so welding a flange on is highly favorable.
    Here's a flange on ebay for a T3
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-Turbo-Exhaust-Manifold-Flange-Stainless-Steel-Header-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9d3db552QQitemZ320465646930QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
    If decided to use a smaller turbo flanges can be ordered for that as well. Volvo puts a T17 Garrett on a 2.0 so you may consider a small turbo for quick response and good strenth in middle of powerband where it does most good on street. My Paseo is getting a T25 on a 1.5L manual trans. Redline around 6800rpm so I need the power from 3000 up.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:32 am

Does he do alot of freelance work? I have a few things ill need welded on the Z.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:51 am

Yes he does.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 am

I took liberty and told him some of your project and we talked about it for near an hour. He said for you to let him know when you're home all the details you can and he'll get the work done.
    He builds race cars professionally. Not only is he a good welder but he understands performance and how to setup a race car to hook.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:09 am

Ok sweet thx man ill look him up over on SSR I def got somethings that I wanna get done in early 2011 for the Z.
    Deuces Wild
    Deuces Wild

Post  Deuces Wild Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:47 am

I'm checking out that link you sent when i get back to the other side. Work computers wouldnt let me access it. darn. But I appreciate it alot. Thanks.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:29 pm

It's just a rectangular piece of stainless with a rectangular hole and 4 threaded bolt holes 1/2" thick.
    Upgrades, and problems - Page 2 Fl_t3

Like this one.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:01 am

RRM is probably the most recognized Mitsu tuners....well online anyways so here is all the stuff they offer........

well most the performace stuff, the issue will be the CVT

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_23_24

Man they def make alof of dress-up stuff for your ride thats for sure wish i had all those options lol
    Deuces Wild
    Deuces Wild

Post  Deuces Wild Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 am

Kurai wrote:RRM is probably the most recognized Mitsu tuners....well online anyways so here is all the stuff they offer........

well most the performace stuff, the issue will be the CVT

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_23_24

Man they def make alof of dress-up stuff for your ride thats for sure wish i had all those options lol

LOL I am sure you can find the options you are looking for. Just gotta look deeper into the year and make of the Z. Just saying i know they are out there. I will check with a friend of mine in cali to see if he still own his Z and if so where he got his parts from. He did some pretty neat stuff some years back.
    Deuces Wild
    Deuces Wild

Post  Deuces Wild Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:15 am

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_23_24&products_id=609&zenid=9e7d0dfafce9816bd0fc82dc780f1b43

Check out this turbo kit for the CVT.. Kurai do you think we can do it? Also this link.. This shows the original air box that we took off when we put the old air intake in. But the intake this one shows is a short RAM air, with the box.. It makes me wonder. I like the pics of the lancer project but it seems as though it was a manual. I like the look though.

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_23_24&products_id=296&zenid=9e7d0dfafce9816bd0fc82dc780f1b43
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:57 am

Sure we could if thats the route you wanted to go....and you wouldnt need a intake after it was installed.
    Deuces Wild
    Deuces Wild

Post  Deuces Wild Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:21 pm

13-15% tint on windows
    Black out front and back emblem
    Custom box for 8-10" subs
    LED under Dash and in trunk
    Springs and Shocks first thing
    DDMT Tuning 5000K lights, gonna need you on this one Kuria you dealt with them just recently.
    actually gonna finish this list a little later this week waiting on some responses back from a few people. But if i can't get some ofthe mods done i can at least dress Jazzy up a bit. Smile
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:24 pm

lol yeah very tru lol what you wanna know about the HID kit?
    Deuces Wild
    Deuces Wild

Post  Deuces Wild Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Kurai wrote:lol yeah very tru lol what you wanna know about the HID kit?

Thinking 5000K for foggers and 6000K for heads, unless that is too much i can always go 6000K for foggers and 8K for heads.. like the light blue lighting better than a deeper blue.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:38 pm

Deuces Wild wrote:

Thinking 5000K for foggers and 6000K for heads, unless that is too much i can always go 6000K for foggers and 8K for heads.. like the light blue lighting better than a deeper blue.

100% your call just make sure you pick the right bulbs for it...and i hear that 55w may be to hot if you are dealing with a plastic housing but i think your low beams and fogs are both glass projectors right?
    Deuces Wild
    Deuces Wild

Post  Deuces Wild Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Kurai wrote:
    Deuces Wild wrote:

100% your call just make sure you pick the right bulbs for it...and i hear that 55w may be to hot if you are dealing with a plastic housing but i think your low beams and fogs are both glass projectors right?

Im not seeing anything that shows me anything different. I always thought they were but then we didnt get into them yet. I may need your address i might just ship them to your house as i will be there anyway.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:32 am

Deuces Wild wrote:
    Kurai wrote:
    Deuces Wild wrote:

Im not seeing anything that shows me anything different. I always thought they were but then we didnt get into them yet. I may need your address i might just ship them to your house as i will be there anyway.

Ok ill PM it to you. Cool but yeah before you place your order there is a slide menu that asks you what type bulbs what temp and what wattage you would like.
    Deuces Wild
    Deuces Wild

Post  Deuces Wild Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:21 am

Sweet thanks
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:05 am

Np did you figure it out and get the addy?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:25 am