Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATTENTION!!!! Please bear with us while we make some updates to the Forum and Website, Thanks.......

5 posters

Project Supra Z

Kurai
    Kurai

Project Supra Z Empty Project Supra Z

Post  Kurai Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:35 pm

Well all its happening Twisted Evil

I have been finalizing the deal and all is set to pick-up my old school project....a 1973 Datsun 240Z, powered by a Toyota 1JZ Single Turbo engine. Target whp is gonna be between 500-800rwhp

I have set everything up to get the car from NH from Chris the owner of SR Powdercoating who does alot of work with Scott @ Ballistic Motorsports....here are some pics of the car....

https://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/srpowdercoating/73240z/

When it arrives or shortly after it will be delivered to Troy @ Dream Car Customs to begin the first stage of the restoration. She will be getting a Dark Kandy Red house of Kolor paint job. and will look something like this in color....

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/medium/saved_pics_3_31_09_015_Medium_.jpg
    https://media.photobucket.com/image/Dark%20Kandy%20Red/ArcticCobra/cobrapic3.jpg

except I will be going for a slightly heavier metallic content....

I will be highlighting the car with a few Carbon Fiber componants as well and also adding a hlaf cage to the interior that will be the same color as the car....all that will sum up Phase one.

What do you guys think so far?
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Project Supra Z Empty Re: Project Supra Z

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Sounds like fun. What turbo do you plan to use? By the way I get good used turbos and rebuild some too. I've got a holset T3 twin scroll with an 85mm compressor wheel that'll really push air....
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 am

Ill probably end up running a GT35 series or larger turbine. Still debating on what EMS ill end up using a couple supra owners tell me the AEM unit will proabbly be the best to use as a standalone.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:28 am

You might want to ride by and see this holset then. Twisted Evil
    moneybaggz
    moneybaggz

Post  moneybaggz Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:24 pm

i thought i would never say this but im tired of talking about cars. im having such a headace tirn to figure out the ons i have now. i have so many plans but dont know where to look....i have way too much running around in my head. (wow cant believe i just said that, someone call a doctor i think im sick)lol
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:06 pm

moneybaggz wrote:i thought i would never say this but im tired of talking about cars. im having such a headace tirn to figure out the ons i have now. i have so many plans but dont know where to look....i have way too much running around in my head. (wow cant believe i just said that, someone call a doctor i think im sick)lol

Love sick maybe lol lets talk about mortors instead lol tongue
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm

So looking at rims for the Z i think ima go with a set of these.....

http://www.shop4wheel.com/product_13613_103261.html

in a 18x8.5 front, 18x9.5 rear and have them powder coated gold with the chrome/SS lip. I think that will look good and different on this car. Also the guy selling me the Z is really hooking me up, he is giving me a brand new set of lowering springs and Kyb shocks as well as the parts needed to exchange for core of a front brake upgrade using a older Toyota 4-runner i think front brake kit. So ill be to a decent start already with suspension. fkn rite. and a vendor i know from a few forums (let me know if you guys want him here too) nextgentuning.com is finding me a great deal on a new set of race seats for her as well. pirat
    reborn
    reborn

Post  reborn Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:47 pm

sounds like things are moving along. i talked with troy he said he is not one for his email not that good with computers so dont get discuraged. he is wondering when and with what you want to start with. car or engine he said he would rather do the engine first so that way the car isnt sitting in a garage waiting on engine. let me know i have been talking to hime he is doing my welding for my twins.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Gonna have to do car first till next year and after he can get me a detailed list on the engine after he inspects everything. But it wouldnt have to sit there the 73 im getting is fully functional and actually has a damn near brand new 260Z dual carb engine in it right now so after the car is done it can just be driven to the house till its engine time.

But yeah till i got all the funds next year and know exactly how much its gonna cost to get the 1jz where we want it i gotta play it safe and do what i know i can afford lol, which is paying for the body/paint work right now since buying the car is gonna cost me a little bit.

Also I need your guys help getting the 1JZ and the tranny over to his shop so he can get the inspections done and get me a more accurate list of what will be needed.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:01 pm

Well bought the Z yesterday so fkn rite there Twisted Evil also picked up a set of Carbon Fiber ZG style flares from Japan. Cool

Also when i get the rims I have done some reasearch and will be running a 10.5" tire on a 9.5" rim in the rear and 9.5/9.5 in the front gonna be good stuff lol cant wait.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 am

Update.....The Z should ship tomorrow or the day after from NH so ill post plenty of pics once she hits GA, the CF ZG flares are already there. Cool

Also whats your guys opinion on this kit??

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz67mmturbokit.php

idk something seems off...maybe knock-off componants...but say i drop the fake gate and idk....hmmm well might just be cheaper to piece my kit as the piping is for a Supra and will prob be custom in the Z neways......opinions?
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:40 pm

Sure you want my opinion? It's not pretty. The first thing to hit me is the mitsubishi number then as I'm scanning through the description I read 'TD04R/Z wheel' and then 'all garrett internals'. So which is it, a mitsubishi wheel or all garrett internals? Then there are several exhaust housing to choose from. All this tells me they are making their own turbos and using garrett sized bearings and seals. They go on to say a replica Tial wastegate. That doesn't mean it's fake but it is a copy. Most of the copied stuff comes from China. Look into it real hard before spending that much money.

Another thing I was thinking about is room. I'll bet the Z is a LOT narrower than a Supra. That manifold might hit the strut tower.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:52 pm

Starlet 3SGTE wrote:Sure you want my opinion? It's not pretty. The first thing to hit me is the mitsubishi number then as I'm scanning through the description I read 'TD04R/Z wheel' and then 'all garrett internals'. So which is it, a mitsubishi wheel or all garrett internals? Then there are several exhaust housing to choose from. All this tells me they are making their own turbos and using garrett sized bearings and seals. They go on to say a replica Tial wastegate. That doesn't mean it's fake but it is a copy. Most of the copied stuff comes from China. Look into it real hard before spending that much money.

Another thing I was thinking about is room. I'll bet the Z is a LOT narrower than a Supra. That manifold might hit the strut tower.

Im def not a fan of using knock-off stuff or China replicas
    so i think ima end up doing alot of this myself but need your opinion on some of the componants im running across

like do these look quality to you.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380192387908&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2&category=33619

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350315015452&viewitem=&category=36474

and do any of these manifolds look legit?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=1jz+manifold&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=1jz+exhaust+manifold&_osacat=0&bkBtn=1

Far as the room its not too bad here is a thread i have been following of a similiar build its just a 260 not a 240...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/61936-my-1jz-260z/

so you can see there is a little bit of room (and a butt load of work) to play with.

What do you think would be a good setup? Might hafta buy one of those turbos off you one day for this you get alot of dual bb ones?
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:13 am

OMG I almost shot a load when I saw that intake. Beautiful! Did you you that Holset is in Charleston SC? You might contact them to see if they make bb turbos. I'm sure it'd be far cheaper than garrett and good quality.
    Still thinking about that intake, wow. I have to make my own for the 3sgte since the throttle body needs to be at the front of the engine and factory manifold points it over the valve cover. All the fancy manifolds for an MR2 would make mine point at the firewall. Then all the exhaust bits put the turbo in a strut tower.
    The kit also had the exhaust as a T4, I'd think you'd want a T3 to spool sooner. Check out precision turbos. They cost a bunch but make serious power.
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:02 am

Starlet 3SGTE wrote:OMG I almost shot a load when I saw that intake. Beautiful! Did you you that Holset is in Charleston SC? You might contact them to see if they make bb turbos. I'm sure it'd be far cheaper than garrett and good quality.
    Still thinking about that intake, wow. I have to make my own for the 3sgte since the throttle body needs to be at the front of the engine and factory manifold points it over the valve cover. All the fancy manifolds for an MR2 would make mine point at the firewall. Then all the exhaust bits put the turbo in a strut tower.
    The kit also had the exhaust as a T4, I'd think you'd want a T3 to spool sooner. Check out precision turbos. They cost a bunch but make serious power.

Ill have to look into them I think Ballistic Motorsports deals with them i think....
    Hey so you think any of those manifolds (exhaust) looked like a good quality product?
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:39 am

They looked like they were all made by 1 company. Check out these. I'm not sure of quality but you can request better pictures.

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=326_396_640&products_id=1296

Project Supra Z Xtr000512_1jz_2jz_rb26manifold

http://www.suprastore.com/1jststsitut3.html

So for anyone looking to reliably turn up the boost, ditching these fragile old turbos is usually first on the list. In fact, Toyota's own engineers moved away from the CT12A with the third-generation 1JZ-GTE in 1996, instead using a single CT15B. Thanks to the switch to a single-turbo setup (along with the use of a VVTi cylinder head, improved cylinder cooling and a bump in compression ratio to 9.0:1), the third-gen 1JZ-GTE produces 280 ft-lbs of torque at just 2400 rpm, 12 ft-lbs more than the twin-turbo motors at half the rpm. And since these motors often dyno at 270-280 whp in completely stock form, it's safe to say Toyota underrated it quite a bit so that it would fit within the 280-bhp limit all the Japanese carmakers had imposed upon themselves during this era.

For a single-turbo setup, Geoff from Full-Race recommends going twin-scroll. "A twin-scroll setup is far and away the highest performing setup available, and you can do it on a tight budget using an eBay 1JZ manifold (yeah, I hate those companies too, but the 1JZ is probably the only manifold they make that's functional). With this manifold and a BorgWarner twin-scroll turbo, you've got a phenomenal bang-for-the-buck setup, but keep in mind the divided manifold is critical to lag-free performance."

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1003-toyota-jz-engine/1jz-gte.html
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:48 am

Starlet 3SGTE wrote:They looked like they were all made by 1 company. Check out these. I'm not sure of quality but you can request better pictures.

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=326_396_640&products_id=1296

Project Supra Z Xtr000512_1jz_2jz_rb26manifold

http://www.suprastore.com/1jststsitut3.html

So for anyone looking to reliably turn up the boost, ditching these fragile old turbos is usually first on the list. In fact, Toyota's own engineers moved away from the CT12A with the third-generation 1JZ-GTE in 1996, instead using a single CT15B. Thanks to the switch to a single-turbo setup (along with the use of a VVTi cylinder head, improved cylinder cooling and a bump in compression ratio to 9.0:1), the third-gen 1JZ-GTE produces 280 ft-lbs of torque at just 2400 rpm, 12 ft-lbs more than the twin-turbo motors at half the rpm. And since these motors often dyno at 270-280 whp in completely stock form, it's safe to say Toyota underrated it quite a bit so that it would fit within the 280-bhp limit all the Japanese carmakers had imposed upon themselves during this era.

For a single-turbo setup, Geoff from Full-Race recommends going twin-scroll. "A twin-scroll setup is far and away the highest performing setup available, and you can do it on a tight budget using an eBay 1JZ manifold (yeah, I hate those companies too, but the 1JZ is probably the only manifold they make that's functional). With this manifold and a BorgWarner twin-scroll turbo, you've got a phenomenal bang-for-the-buck setup, but keep in mind the divided manifold is critical to lag-free performance."

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1003-toyota-jz-engine/1jz-gte.html

Hmmm well looks like im starting to get a plan together now lol I should try and snag that intake manifold too thx for the help think i saw a few divided manifolds there too
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:27 am

The Z touched down at the house yesterday...and so the fury begins lol Twisted Evil
    ILLEST
    ILLEST
    Admin

Post  ILLEST Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:57 am

Good shit bro, cant wait to see her. what you gonna name her
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:03 am

Monster balls lol j/k idk yet but think ima get my custom plate to say KURAI_Z lol and the Corolla will be Kurai still lol
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:43 pm

I vote for a 1JZGTW emblem to replace the 240Z emblems
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:07 am

Ok so update...think ima do a twin turbo setup now...after alot spool talk i think it would be cool. So keep a eye out for a set of GT28rs or even GT25/26 lol

Also ima need to do a lil bit of fabricating to make the mounts and what not, but have like zero experiance doing it but think i have the basic idea from some guys over on HybridZ

I think rebuilding this damn 1JZ is gonna be one of the biggest headaches lol, other then that just the welding etc etc.
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Are you doing the internals also? What exactly do you plan work wise? And how long till yer over here?
    Kurai
    Kurai

Post  Kurai Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:21 am

Well ill def be replacing/ upgrading Pistons rings, and while im in their might as well do bearings, ARP all around, maybe rods..not sure yet not really needed. but will be sending off pistons to Swaintech maybe the head too idk yet but not going crazy with the internals. Big time fuel upgrades just gotta figure out if I want to use the stock tank or cut out the spare tire well and drop in a 16gal summit race tank.
    I wont be in country again till about decemberish time frame.

Here is the incomplete "list" as it stands still missing some stuff obviously but thats where it stand right now.....feel free to put in your input. Or if you got a line on getting something cheaper lol

PROJECT SUPRA Z

1973 Datsun 240Z

Phase 1 Restoration/Upgrades: Interior
    -----------------------------
    Carpet kit
    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SIC04C02/40-2580G

Center arm rest
    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/CAR/50-2563

Rear deck mat
    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/IA33H/40-2620

Floor mats
    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/IA30/50-2630

Steering wheel
    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SWM/50-3138

Floor Pans
    http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html

Corbeau LG1 Race bucket seats

Power window conversion kit

MSA Bolt in Roll Cage

Phase 1 Restoration/Upgrades: Exterior
    ------------------------------
    Urethane front air dam with brake cooling ducts
    http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html

Carbon Fiber taillight panel
    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA05/50-1564

36mm Wheel spacers
    Own
    Paid***

XXR-006 Wheels 18x9.5 front/rear
    http://www.shop4wheel.com/index_13618_p1.html

BFGoodrich KDW2s fronts

BFGoodrich KDW2s rears

ZG Carbon Fiber fender flares
    Own
    Paid**

OEM Carbon Fiber Hood

House of Kolor: Brandywine Kandy paint

House of Kolor: Base

House of Kolor: Primer

House of Kolor: Katalyst

House of Kolor: Hardner

House of Kolor: Klear coat

Powdercoated Stock Grille

Powerplant and Transmission Phase 1JZ-GTE 2.5l Inline 6 Twin Turbo:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1JZ - R154 Bellhousing
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jzr154bellhousing.php

1JZ Bell housing bolts
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jzbellhousingboltset.php

R154 Marlin Crawler Thrust Washer
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-marlincrawlerr154thrustwasher.php

Marlin Chromoly Steel Bearing Retainer for R154
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-marlinchromolysteelbearingretainerforr154.php

Marlin Crawler Billet Shift Fork for R154
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-marlincrawlerbilletshiftforkforr154.php

Marlin Crawler Shifter Socket R154
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-marlincrawlershiftersocketr154.php

Marlin Crawler Urethane Shifter Bushing For R154 Transmission
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-

marlincrawlerurethaneshifterbushingforr154transmission.php

1JZ Crank bearings
    http://www.suprastore.com/2j1jcrbebypo.html
    28.00 each

Jaguar XJS V12 engine mounts
    http://www.autoanything.com/Parts/PartsProduct.aspx?

CategoryID=1897&kc=FFPMM&TemplatePageID=201&SiloName=external-engine-20

-100-1988

Weld 1JZ heat sink cover
    http://www.nengun.com/weld/heat-sink-cover-1jz

1JZ Clutch kit

1JZ wiring Harness

1JZ Serpentine belt
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jzserpentinebelt.php

1JZ Valve cover bolts
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jz7mvalvecoverbolt.php

EMS 6860 Standalone ECU
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-ems6860standaloneecu.php

Connecting Rods

CP Pistons and rings with Swaintech coated crowns and skirts
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jzcppistonset.php

1JZ Altenator
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jzsupraalternator.php

Rod bearing

Walboro 255lph in tank pump

Walboro 255lph inline pump
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-walbro255lphhighpressureinlinefuelpump.php

550+cc injectors

90mm Q45 throttle body

1JZ intake manifold
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1JZGTE-1JZ-GTE-Intake-manifold-supra-soarer-JZA70

-

1J_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem51911eb3d6QQitemZ350327059414QQptZMot

orsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

1JZ twin turbo exhaust manifold
    http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/th10946.html

Cam Seal
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jzcamseal.php

Lightweight Flywheel
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-115lblightweight1jzflywheel.php

Lightweight underdriven crank pulley
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-

1jz2jzlightweightunderdrivecrankpulleyv206061aluminum.php

Rear main seal
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jzrearmainsealaftermarket.php

Serpentine belt tensioner
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jzserpentinebelttensioner.php

OEM Oil pump
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jzoilpump.php

Heat shielding intake manifold gasket
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-heatshieldinggasket1jz.php

Polyurethane transmission mounts
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-polyurethanetransmountforr154.php

APR main studs
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-arp203-5405.php

APR head studs
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-arp203-4205.php

APR flywheel bolts
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-arp1jzflywheelbolts.php

Greddy Extreme Timing belt
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-greddy13514501-1jz.php

Aeromotive Fuel pressure control kit
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-afprkit1jz.php

Mishimoto electric fan w/ shroud
    http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-toyota-supra-turbo-fan-shroud-kit-93-98.html

Mishimoto radiator
    http://www.mishimoto.com/toyota-supra-mkiv-performance-aluminum-radiator-93-98.html

Mishimoto intercooler
    http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-universal-intercooler-large-black.html

Mishimoto Race Thermostat
    http://www.mishimoto.com/toyota-supra-racing-thermostat-93t.html

Clutch master cylinder
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-clutchmastercylindersupra91-92.php

Bosch fuel filter
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-mk3supraboschfuelfilter.php

Power steering tank
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-bpm-202-12.php

Power Steering pump
    http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-reman1jzpspump.php

OBX LSD 240Z

Miscellaneous
    --------------------------------------------------------

Powdercoated items****

Rims = Gold mesh
    Dream Car Customs

Valve covers = kandy red

bellhousing = kandy red

Motor mount brackets = kandy red

Intercooler piping = kandy red
    Starlet 3SGTE
    Starlet 3SGTE

Post  Starlet 3SGTE Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:07 am

Why the R154 transmission? Seems like a lot of extra money. Are you going to race the car or just street/show? If race I'd swap in a th400, street/show use a W58. If 1jz uses same bell as 7m I have a W5* bell you can have.
    Those seals are prolly cheaper at Toyota dealer.
    Holler at me about the alternator also.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 pm